You may be able to require that this charge be dismissed by successfully completing a driving safety course or a motorcycle operator training course. You will lose that right if, on or before your appearance date, you do not provide the court with notice of your request to take the course:
- a valid Texas driver's license or permit;
- proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance in your name or with you as a listed driver; a plea of "guilty" or "no contest";
- have not completed a driving safety course within one year preceding the date of the current citation;
- pay the court costs and applicable fees with a check, money order or cash before taking the driving safety course;
- have not been cited with speeding 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit; and
- If you have a commercial driver's license DSC is not an option.
You may request permission to take the course by mail by providing your Notarized plea of "guilty" or "no contest" and a waiver of a jury trial. Mail this request, along with copies of your driver's license, proof of insurance, a copy of your citation, and state cost/fees of $109.10. before your court date
372 Town Place,
Fairview, TX 75069
Your request by mail must be received prior to the court date located on the citation. If applying by mail, please contact the court for the due date a few days after you have mailed the paperwork before taking the course. Upon receipt, you will have 90 days to successfully complete and return your documents to the court. Please note, if your citation is past due, you will not be eligible for a Driving Safety Course.
If you fail to complete any of the requirements by your due date, your case will be set for a Show Cause Hearing and a letter will be mailed to the address on your citation. If you fail to appear at the Show Cause Hearing, judgment will be imposed. You will have ten days from the hearing date to either pay or appeal the total judgment before a capias pro fine warrant is issued.